I Have a Collection – How Do I Know What it is Worth? And Where Do I Sell It? Siesta Key | Longboat Key | Anna Maria
- Posted on 30th December 2016
- in antique appraisal, Antique Collection, antique jewelry appraisal
- by Alan
In the world of buying and selling antiques, collections are more valuable than individual pieces. Collections are often highly sought after by dealers and collectors alike, so if you are ready to sell yours, you’ll need to be prepared. It is important to know exactly what your collection is worth and the best place to sell it if you’re going to get top dollar for your prized possessions.
How to Find Out What Your Antique Collection is Worth
You’ve likely spent a lot of time collecting various pieces to add to your antique collection. Now that the time has come to sell it, you’ll want to know exactly what it is worth. There are several resources that can help:
- Research your items online. Some online research can be helpful in determining what your collection is worth. You can find out the background of your items by researching the designer, time period the piece came from, and what similar items have sold for in the past.
- Talk to an estate sale company. Estate sale agents have considerable experience when it comes to pricing antique collections. They’ll likely have experience with your particular collection, or they’ll know someone who does. This can help you to determine the right price for your items well before your sale.
- Hire an appraiser. An appraiser can give you an idea about the value of your collection, but be sure to find one who meets both professional and ethical standards.
- Talk to a professional. While online resources can certainly steer you in the right direction, nothing will beat the opinion from an experienced antique dealer. At Sarasota Antique Buyers, we can provide you with the value that your collection would likely sell for at an auction.
How to Sell Your Antique Collection
Now that you have an idea how to sell your antique collection, you are ready to sell. There are several different forums that you can use:
- Online auction sites. Online auctions like eBay and LiveAuctioneers are a good way to sell individual antique pieces, but they aren’t a wise option for high-end or very valuable items.
- Auction houses. An auction house is a good option for expensive antique collections that are likely to sell for a high price.
- Estate sales. If you have a lot of items that you need to sell, an estate sale might be a good way to sell as much inventory as quickly as possible. Just make sure that your items are priced right.
- Antique dealers. An antique dealer is a great place to sell your antiques. At Sarasota Antique Buyers, we are the premier antique dealer in Florida. We will place a bid on your collection at just under the valuation. You’ll sell your items quickly and will know you’re getting a great deal.
If you have questions about your antique collection – or how to sell it – contact us today at Sarasota Antique Buyers for more information.